Transitioning to Permanent Residence

Not all students have the option to apply for permanent residence, only those students can transition to PR, who are eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit. Details about the Post Graduation Work Permit Program are provided next.

PGWP Application

The PGWP was previously explained in Chapter 2, here we provide the remaining information about its application process.

Step 1: Research eligible programs:

  • Begin by researching programs offered at Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs) in Canada that align with your academic and career goals.
  • Look into the length and level of the program (e.g. undergraduate, graduate, post-graduate) as well as the type of program (e.g. academic, vocational, professional).
  • Verify that the program is eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) by checking the institution’s list of eligible programs or consulting the institution’s international student office.

Step 2: Meet the eligibility requirements:

  • Make sure that you meet the eligibility requirements for a PGWP, such as having a valid study permit, graduating from an eligible program, and applying for a work permit within 180 days of receiving written confirmation of program completion.
  • Check the application deadline and make sure you submit your application in a timely manner.
  • Understand the application process and gather all the required documents, such as proof of program completion, valid study permit, and passport.

Step 3: Apply for a PGWP:

  • Submit your application for a PGWP online through the Government of Canada’s website.
  • Pay CDN $155 for the work permit and CAD $100 for the open work permit holder fee, all together $255.
  • Keep a copy of your application and all the supporting documents for your records.

Step 4: Obtain a PGWP:

  • Once your application has been approved, you will receive your PGWP.
  • Make sure that you understand the conditions and limitations of your PGWP, such as the validity period, location restrictions, and employer restrictions.
  • Keep your PGWP and other immigration documents safe and up to date.

Step 5: Find a job

  • Start your job search as early as possible, while you are still in school or during the validity period of your PGWP.
  • Find a job that can give you a role in TEER 0, 1, or 2, or can promote you to one of these roles when you apply for permanent residence.
  • Utilize the resources and support offered by your institution’s career center.
  • Network and build relationships with potential employers and other professionals in your field.
  • Utilize resources such as job fairs, career services, and online job boards to find job opportunities.
  • Tailor your resume and cover letter to the Canadian job market and the specific position you are applying for.
  • Be flexible and open to entry-level positions, internships, and co-op opportunities.
  • Pass online/offline computer literacy tests, and appear for all interviews.
  • Receive the job offer, provide your SIN and sign the contract. Please note, there are some scam job ads designed for international students to steal their IDs or SIN numbers. So make sure you only share your SIN number at the time of signing the contract or after the interview processes are completed. Never share your SIN at the start of the application process, because employers don’t need it at that stage.
Get admission in 1500 plus universities in Canada, the US, the UK, and Australia. 
Enroll Now
Student Portal