Canada’s visitor visa has four types:

  1. Multiple Entry Visa (M.E.V),
  2. Single Entry Visa (S.E.V),
  3. Transit Visa,
  4. and Super Visa.

I will briefly discuss each type of visitor visa in the following topics:

Single Entry Visa (S.E.V):

This visa allows you to enter Canada only once. However, if you visit the USA or St. Pierre et Miquelon within your authorized period of stay, you can re-enter without applying for a new visa. This visa is issued in limited circumstances when your purpose of the visit is limited to one instance, for example, an official visit by a foreign national, attending a one-time special event, or if the Canadian government has any specific procedures or guidelines in place for your country.

Multiple Entry Visa (M.E.V)

This visa allows you to enter Canada as many times as necessary during your visa’s validity period. This type of visa is usually issued for 10 years or up to the expiry of your passport minus 1 month. This is a standard visa unless there is a specific reason for the officer to issue you a single-entry visa.

Transit Visa

Some foreign nationals will need a transit visa who are going through Canada to another country, without stopping in or visiting Canada. If you need a visitor visa to enter Canada, you will need a transit visa if you are going through Canada. This visa is issued free of charge.

Who is eligible for a visitor visa?

You must meet some basic requirements to get a visitor visa.

You must:

  1. have a valid travel document, like a passport
  2. be in good health
  3. have no criminal or immigration-related convictions
  4. have a family—that will take you back to your home country and convince an immigration officer that you have ties—such as a job, home, and financial assets, or
  5. be able to convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit, will not overstay or need an extension.
  6. have enough money for your stay
  7. sufficient financial resources to cover the cost of your residence in Canada and still meet your needs in your country. The amount of money you will need depends on how long you will stay and if you will stay in a hotel, or with friends or relatives.
  8. Medical exam if you stay for more than six months in Canada.
  9. Obtain a letter of invitation from your host in Canada.
  10. Check the visitor visa guide and get a list of documents you need based on your situation.

Please note that some people are inadmissible to Canada, meaning, regardless of their documentation and valid reasons for visiting the country they are not allowed to enter Canada. You can be inadmissible for several reasons, including being involved in:

  1. criminal activity
  2. human rights violations
  3. organized crime
  4. You can also be inadmissible for security, health, or financial reasons among a full list of inadmissibility factors explained in the first chapter.

What is a Super Visa?

This is a multiple-entry temporary resident visa issued to parents and grandparents of a Canadian permanent resident or citizen. Currently, a Super visa is issued for ten years, multiple entries and with an authorized stay of up to 5 years on each entry. The 5 years authorized stay can be further extended from inside Canada by additional 2 years at a time.

Understand your visa codes:

This is a long list of all the visa codes you may find on your visa counterfoil.

B-1: is issued for Business Visitor

C-1: is issued for Courtesy

D-1: is issued for Diplomat

F-1: is issued for Facilitation Visa

IM-1: is issued for Immigrants (single-entry visa for PR)

0-1: i is issued for Official

P A-1: is issued for Permit Holder

PAX-1: is issued for National Interest TRP

PC-1: is issued for Permit Holder with Valid TRP

PG-1: is issued for Parents or Grandparents Super Visa

R-1: is issued for Passed-Residency Obligation

RA-1: is issued for Presence at Appeal

RC-1: is issued for Passed H&C – PR Travel Document

RX-1: is issued for Attending a PR hearing.

S-1: is issued for A student with Study Permit

SW-1: is issued for An international student with Study & Work Permit

SX-1: is issued for study permit-exempt students.

V-1: is issued for Visitor

VH-1: is issued for Visitors in Transit for not more than 48 hours

W-1: is issued for a worker with Work Permit

WX-1: is issued for Work permit-exempt workers

Canadian Immigration System

Canada's immigration system is based on three pillars, each pillar includes multiple classes, and each class includes multiple programs. These three pillars include Temporary Residence, Permanent Residence, and Citizenship. This website contains all of these programs in various places, however, the followings are a few programs that we have selected for your ease of access.

Come to Canada as a Visitor, Stay in Canada as a Worker!

The Canadian government has announced an extension of the temporary…

Read more
Temporary Residence

Over 35 million people visit Canada every year to take…

Read more
Permanent Residence

In 2019, Canada received more than 341,000 permanent residents, including…

Read more
Refugees and asylum

In 2019 alone, Canada resettled 30,000 refugees from abroad. Canada…

Read more
Permanent Resident Status and Documents

A PR card is not a status, it is a…

Read more
Tourist & Visitor Visas

Canada’s Tourist and Visitor visa has four types: 1. Multiple…

Read more
Get admission in 1500 plus universities in Canada, the US, the UK, and Australia. 
Enroll Now
Student Portal