Family sponsorship

You can sponsor certain family members if you are a Canadian citizen, an Indian (under the Canadian Indian Act) or a permanent resident of Canada. The following requirements are for the sponsors of each of the upcoming categories.

Program Requirements:

Current residenceIf you are a Canadian citizen, you can sponsor even if you are outside of Canada, but you have to prove that you are planning to live in Canada when your application is accepted, and the sponsored persons arrive in Canada. If you are a permanent resident, you must be in Canada to sponsor, you can not apply if you are outside of Canada.
AgeYou must be at least 18 years old.
Settlement fund  You should not be on any kind of social assistance other than disability assistance.
Financial responsibilityYou must promise that you are financially able to take care of the sponsored persons for a certain period of time which are: spouse/partner: 3 years, dependent child: 10 years or until age 25, whichever comes first, dependent child over 22 years (Type C dependent) : 3 years, parents and grandparents: 20 years, other relatives: 10 years) If you live in Québec, please refer to the family class under Québec immigration.  Refugees and protected persons do not need to meet financial sponsorship eligibility for sponsoring spouse/dependents.

LINKS AND RESOURCES: (Accessed in Sep 2021).

Sponsor your spouse, partner, or dependent children

You can sponsor your spouse (legal marriage), your common-law partner (not legally married but co-habits), your conjugal partner (not legally married and is not cohabiting with you), your dependent children under 22 years (if over 22 years, then special requirements must be met).

LINKS AND RESOURCES: (Accessed in Sep 2021).

Sponsor your parents and grandparents

If you want to sponsor your parents and grandparents, you will need to submit “interest to sponsor” during a specific period of time. Once you were invited to submit a complete application, only then you are able to submit a complete application for your parents or grandparents to come to Canada as permanent residents. The invitation is based on random computerized selection.

LINKS AND RESOURCES: (Accessed in Sep 2021).

Sponsor your adopted child from outside of Canada

If you want to sponsor your adopted child you must first complete the “application for sponsorship” and once that application is completed, you would be able to apply for your child’s permanent residence so they can come to Canada. After your child arrives in Canada as a permanent resident and the adoption process is completed, then you can apply for your child’s citizenship.

LINKS AND RESOURCES: (Accessed in Sep 2021).

Sponsor your orphaned brother, sister, nephew, niece, or grandchild

You can sponsor your orphaned brother, sister, nephew, niece, or grandchild if they meet the following requirements: they are blood relatives or adopted, their both parents have died, they are under 18, and they are single.

LINKS AND RESOURCES: (Accessed in Sep 2021).

Sponsor your other relatives

You can sponsor one relative (by blood/adoption) of any age, if you don’t have any living family member that you can sponsor and you do not have any relatives in Canada that is PR, citizen or Indian.

LINKS AND RESOURCES: (Accessed in Sep 2021).

Leave a Reply

Do you want to do it yourself? 

Get this guide, and do it yourself. 

Go to Amazon

Free Download!
Consultants' Secret Cheat Sheet for Express Entry.

Detailed and easy to understand version, especially designed for non-consultants. 
You will receive a download link in your inbox, please check your email adress again and make sure it is correct. 
Social Network for Immigrants, Immigration Lawyers, and Consultants. 
Migrant Nation
en English